Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Question

I am finishing my basement. I have existing lights in the basement and want to use the current circuits to wire lights and outlets.

I have a new 20 amp circuit to operate a laptop and printer in my office, and will also operate 2 65 watt recessed lights.

Can I use this circuit to operate 6 more recessed lights and 5 outlets?

The other existing lights are tied in to other lights in the rest of the house. I would like to use an existing 15 amp circuit to operate 6 more 65 watt recessed lights. This circuit does operate 4 lights upstairs. Is this OK?

My main question is how many lights/watts and outlets can run off 15 and 20 amp circuits?

The formula is Power = E(volts) X I(amps)
    To figure amps divide watts by voltage. 65 / 120 = .54 amp.
    For a 20 amp circuit: 20 / .54 = 37 fixtures
    For a 15 amp circuit: 15 / .54 = 27.8 fixtures
    You can figure out the loading using the above figures

Comment

A 15 amp circuit is rated for 1800 watts, and a 20 amp circuit is rated for 2400 watts. So, stay within these and you'll be fine. There is actually no limit on the number of receptacles that you can put on a circuit, though staying within 8-10 is a good idea. If you are remodeling your basement, then there are guidlines that you need to adhere to as far as receptacle placement and the spacing. You need to buy yourself a good book, like the Black and Decker book on home wireing. Make sure you read up on all the codes.

You should really consider running a separate circuit for your receptacles. If you have a heavy load on any of them your lights will surely dim.

Comment

A 15 amp circuit is rated for 1800 watts, and a 20 amp circuit is rated for 2400 watts. So, stay within these and you'll be fine. There is actually no limit on the number of receptacles that you can put on a circuit, though staying within 8-10 is a good idea. If you are remodeling your basement, then there are guidlines that you need to adhere to as far as receptacle placement and the spacing. You need to buy yourself a good book, like the Black and Decker book on home wireing. Make sure you read up on all the codes.

You should really consider running a separate circuit for your receptacles. If you have a heavy load on any of them your lights will surely dim if the circuit is one and the same.

Here's a link that has specific requirements, though your local codes may differ.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =