Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing Zinsco 60A breaker

I have an old house with a 1968 vintage Zinsco breaker panel. The panel has an upper and lower section. The upper section receives power from the outside and contains a pair of 50A breakers for the stove and A/C. Below those is a thick 60A breaker (contains 2 switches marked "60" that are tied together) that feeds the lower panel. THERE IS NO MAIN SHUTOFF TO CUT POWER FROM THE OUTSIDE. I need to replace the 60A breaker. Is there an easy way to remove this breaker? I replaced a similar Zinsco 60A breaker in another house under identical circumstances and I recall it was a bear to remove. Is there some easy trick to remove this breaker without using brute force? Since the main power will be on, I don't want to do something stupid.

What you can do is call the power company and ask for permission to pull the outside meter. Tell them exactly what you intend to do. Then cut the seal and pull the meter using force from the bottom side upwards towards the line side of the socket. When you're done, install the meter thusly. Position the meter on the opening and make sure the stabs are in-line and push the meter firmly into place. Use your hand and tap the upper side and the lower side firmly to make sure it's seated within the socket. Install the seal ring and call to get it re-sealed.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =