Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELLLP!!!! i lost power in part of my condo

I am not very house electrical literate but i do know a little.. basically what happend was my girlfriend pluged in her vaccum to an outlet.. it started for about a half a second then died. the lights went off. i went and reset the breaker and nothing happend. i checked the power to the breaker it is a double 30amp breaker.. i turned it off.. and checked both leads with a meter.. 0v.. i turned the breaker to the on position and i got 218v.. but still no power to that area of the condo.. i reset all the breakers and tested each one.. all work fine. the only symptom of the problem before was every now and then the lights would blink in a surging manor just randomly without adding any pull to the cirucut.. what could this be?? and how does this double breaker drop down to 110 before it reaches the outlet???

any advice would be helpfull thanks in advance

-steve

The double pole 30 amp breaker would not be the breaker for a 120 volt receptacle, it's for a 220 volt circuit such as a clothes drier probably.

There must be a single pole 15 or 20 amp breaker somewhere that's tripped.
    Also you might look for a GFCI receptacle feeding the outlet that's tripped.

Comment

thanks dean yea that double 30 amp was for my AC i didnt have a tripped breaker.. the wiring in this condo is weird.. i ended up pulling out all the outlets and swithcs and the lights that were on the circut it ended up that the ceiling fan shorted out and caused the wire nuts to melt.. and broke the connection... the main wire from the breaker goes to the ceiling fan and then continues on seperate wires to the rest of the circut.

thanks for the advice though.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =