Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light switch to nowhere

We have a light switch on the wall in a (living) room with no light fixtures, only wall outlets. I assume it turns an electrical outlet on/off. All the outlets seem to be working with it whether it is on or off.

How do I trace this to see what it controls?

Quite often when switched outlets are installed the duplex receptacle is split with one socket constantly hot, and the second one on the switch. When connecting in that manner there is a small break out tab between the two gold colored screws that must be taken out to isolate the two sockets. If someone happened to replace the outlet device without removing that tab both sockete would remain hot at all times, thus negating the switching action.

Aside from that, the switch could be for an entirely different function, such as switching an outdoor fixture for xmass lights or a light in the attic or crawl space or even an exterior light that was later converted to a solar sensor.

Comment

Another possibility is that there were wall or ceiling lights in the past, and somebody decided to get rid of them. Look for messy patches about 3" in diameter. Concealing a live box is a code violation. Sometimes you find them stuffed full of paper, foam, or even drywall mud.

-- J.S.

Comment

Anybody's guess - really! I wish people would leave a note if they've sealed up a switch return or eliminated a switch function. There's nothing more frustrating then trying to figure out where a load is. You see a wire coming off the load side ---- now where does it go?? You could try using an induction circuit tracer - better than tearing up a ceiling or an rf circuit tracer - my best bet.
        Maybe there was a ceiling light - now covered up with a plaster patch. Anybody's guess.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =