Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring basement bath - NEC dilemma?!

Hi! I'm prepping my electrical diagrams to wire a bath in my basement (finishing an unfinished basement). Got a question on the NEC 2002 - the "exception" in section 210.11 (C.3) seems like its ok to wire the bath receptacles plus bathroom light and vent fan on one circuit, but it references 210.23(A) - wherein the "exception" states that "only the receptacle outlets" can be on that branch circuit. Which is it - one circiut for the bath receptacles ONLY and another branch for the light/vent fan, OR one circuit for all bath outlets - receptacles PLUS lights and vent fan on same circuit?? If I need two circuits, can I put the lights and fan on a circuit with NON-bath loads? HELP!
    Thanks!
    Jim

What it means is that you can install all the lighting, fan and the receptacles for this ONE bath on just one 20 amp circuit. If the receptacles for "more than" one bath are on this circuit, then the lights and fan must be on a separate circuit.

So, since this is a new bath then you can install everything (receptacles, lights and fan) on just one circuit, but this circuit cannot feed power to anything outside of this bath.

Comment

SUPER! This finally makes sense to me - THANKS!

Comment

Kactus -
        Is this per the new NEC (2002 - haven't seen the 2005 yet)? A bud of mine said this was fine under the "old way" but that the new code says the receptacles have to be on their own 20amp circuit with nothing else. Then again, he ain't an 'lectrician. There's no "local" code - they just go by the NEC straight-up around here. Am I back to square 1 again?! Help!
        Jim

Comment

Working...
        X
        =