Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moisture in Electrical Panel

I have a house that has brand new 100 amp electical service. Sometimes when the humidity is high outdoors moisture (water) accumulates in the bottom of the fuse panel. I know from inspection by a qualified electrician that the water is not coming from outside. I have observed it coming from the inside of the sheathing on the neutral wire coming from the meter box. I firmly believe it is condensation. Sometimes there will be no moisture/water after a driving rain and sometimes there will be some. Is this normal? I never looked for it in my old service and was wondering if the is normal. The moisture does not drip down through the panel but directly from this wire to the bottom of the panel. The basement where the panel is located is fairly cool.

Thanks

This is normal in most cases and not a reason to worry. sometimes there's an accumulation of water in the bottom of the meter trough and wicks its way into the SEU cable into the basement panel. If you're not squeemish and can get the power company to break the seal for you, put some duct seal on thecable where the non weathertight connector is at the bottom of the meter socket. Just mash it into the end of the cable. Be careful and don't touch the two outside connections at the bottom - each leg carries 120 volts to ground, but with the meter in place you shouldn't be anywhere around the bottom lugs.

Comment

Thanks, HayZee!

Comment

HayZee, could you please explain in layman's terms " meter trough"? Thanks!

Comment

meter trough, meter socket, synonimous terms

Comment

HayZee, you wouldn't happen to have one of your really nice diagrams (simple sketch) that would show me exactly what and how this duct seal looks after it is put on the cable correctly? It has been awhile since I had the power company out to look at the inside of the meter box, and I don't remember exactly how it looks. I am trying to picture how this duct seal seals the cable so that no water can weep down the individual strangs of the cable.

Thanks if you can help!!

Comment

Duct seal is just a thick gooey putty that never dries out. You can get it at any electrical supply house or home depot.

Comment

Thanks, HayZee. I was just trying to picture how you can get the putty worked into the cable so that no water can get into the inner strangs. I might give it a shot if I get brave enough to stick my hands into the box. LOL. If I survive, I will let you know how it turned out.

Comment

The duc-seal is a gooey mess of fibrous material with an oily base. It's very stringy. Just pull it apart and pressit into place in the cable and stranding and the connector.

Comment

Thanks, Hayzee, for the diagram. You do good at the drawing thing. I take it I should be extremely careful putting this stuff on or I might get my socks knocked off. Maybe I should have the light company shut the power off first?

Comment

No need to - with the meter in place the lower lugs are covered. The meter cover should just come off over the glass dome, unless there's a ring that holds the meter to the cover. then you got to unscrew the ring and actually pull the meter, then the lower lugs are exposed. Just be careful - jeez!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =