Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receptacle with three wires?

I recently found a duplex receptacle in my house that has three wires (white, black, red) plus copper ground coming into the box. What is the red wire for?

I had to replace the receptacle because it was worn out and the top receptacle didn't work. When I connected black on one side and red and white on the other (exactly as it was before) the breaker wouldn't flip. My humble knowledge of electrical wiring told me the red was aberrant and possibly grounding it so I removed the red and capped it off and tucked it away neatly. Now the receptacle works fine but I'm sure this wiring is not normal.

My theory is that the receptacle is at waist height and by a patio door so maybe it was a three-way switch. However, there is already a single switch for the outside light by the patio and it's across the room and still works. My house is old and the previous owner was perhaps a little cheap on repairs, so I'd like to know if it's safe to ignore this red wire.

-SBF

This outlet is what's called a split wired receptacle. If you'll notice on the side wheree the red and black is, there's a tab that is broken off. This tab splits the outlet into two separate outlets.
    One side is switched the other is hot OR both outlet parts are HOT off two different breakers. You said it's in a kitchen so it makes sense to have a split wired outlet.
    Put the red wire back.

Comment

Hayzee... I believe either the wires are on incorrectly or the polarity is reversed on the black and white wire tooo.

The post says the black is connected on one side of the device and the white and red is on the other side. He also stated the breaker would not reset. I suspect the reason it won't reset is the common (white) and a power feeder (red) are both connected on the same side and causing a direct short through the device.

Unless I am wrong, the white should be the circuit common and connected to the white screws on one side of the device.

Both the black and red should be separate feeds and should be connected to the Brass colored screws on the opposite side of the device, with the bonding tab removed on the brass colored side.

Comment

Hayzee's right about that red wire. Just make sure you put the red and the black wires on the same side and that the 'tang' between them has been removed. The other side would want to be connected to the white wire and the tang on that side needs to be in place and connecting both plugs.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by SlartyBartFast
          [br]I recently found a duplex receptacle in my house that has three wires (white, black, red) plus copper ground coming into the box. What is the red wire for?

I had to replace the receptacle because it was worn out and the top receptacle didn't work. When I connected black on one side and red and white on the other (exactly as it was before) the breaker wouldn't flip. My humble knowledge of electrical wiring told me the red was aberrant and possibly grounding it so I removed the red and capped it off and tucked it away neatly. Now the receptacle works fine but I'm sure this wiring is not normal.

My theory is that the receptacle is at waist height and by a patio door so maybe it was a three-way switch. However, there is already a single switch for the outside light by the patio and it's across the room and still works. My house is old and the previous owner was perhaps a little cheap on repairs, so I'd like to know if it's safe to ignore this red wire.

-SBF

Comment

break off the tab between the two "brass" screws. Black wire goes on one screw, red goes on the other. white stays by itself on the other side "nickel" screw

Comment

Working...
            X
            =