Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finishing basement

trying to finish basement at my parents home and have installed 3 outlets, ran wires through the walls (40ft) to the breaker box and after all that no circuit breaker. i havnt looked inside the box but its my understanding that if the box (which has 3 empty slots) has "plugs" behinf those empty slots then i can buy a 15 amp breaker and wire it normally, but if it doesnt..(murphys law) then i would remove one of the existing 15s and replace it with a 30 amp, run it into a smaller second box and place two 15 amps...that sounds fairly difficult any advice or suggestions on what to do or how much an electricion would charge me, at any rate i have done the outlets and am comfortable with those skills...but braeker boxes intimidate me due to my relative lack of knowledge regarding them...

edenshock

You can do that if you like, But take into consideration your total Amp's. If you have only a 60 AMP service you would be putting to much stress on the total AMP draw ( 60 AMP service is old and virtually non-existent anymore)

If you have a 100 AMP service (Standard) you can do this providing you have the space for a new breaker! Be sure to make note of the manufacturer of the Breaker Panel so you can buy the right Breaker to fit your box.(they are not all the same) You can also get a double breaker that splits a 15 AMP into two (2) 15 Amp's (caution) I would only do this if you have no open spots left which you don't.

I am sure you know the laws on wiring Black= Hot, White= Neutral, Copper/bare= Ground.
    [u]Be sure to shut the Main down before doing any work in your panel</u>

16x80

Comment

Working...
    X
    =