Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flourescent light buzz

Not sure if there is a fix for this problem, but I figured someone here might know of one. We have a flourescent light fixture in our kitchen and there is an annoying loud buzz that comes from it. It seems to be loudest when the light has been off for awhile than it quites down a little as it warms up. But it never stops buzzing. Is there a way to fix this or are there Flourescent lights out there that do not buzz. Thanks foer your help!
    jtfoxman

Jtfoxman
    Jtfoxman

Replace the ballst with an electronic ballast. If your fixture is of the olden variety - the laminations of the transformer loosen up causing the buzzing.

Comment

The most common cause of the buzzing noise is internal vibration of the transformer plates in the ballast caused by "hysterisis currents" which are internal current flows produced within the ballast.

They most often occur during startup when a ballast is cold, or where the ambient operating temp around the ballast is below normal.

Hysterisis currents are normally associated with a higher than normal amp draw on the ballast which will ultimately shorten the life of the ballast.

Flourescent tubes have an electical filament in each end of the tube. when the lights are first turned on the filiments heat up, which in turn heats the argon gas inside the tube. Once the gas is heated the gas becomes electrically conductive and the electrons now take the lower path of resistance through the argon from one end of the tube to the other and the filaments automatically drop out of the circuit.

Examine the ends of the flourescent tube, if either end, or both ends appear blackened that is indicating the filament is remaining hot. The most common cause is a filament burned out on the opposite end of the tube or a defective lamp holder which is not making proper contact with both pins on the lamp. An improperly installed lamp where one or more pins are not properly making contact with the lamp holder will also cause the problem. If one of the filaments is burned out or the tube improperly installed it takes longer for the remaining filament to adequately heat the argon, which is often indicated by the tube flashing or blinking during start up. The excessive filament operation time draws a higher current from the ballast for a longer period, which causes the vibration in the ballast. If that condition is allowed to continue for an excessive period of time the transformer plates become permanently loosened and will continue to vibrate.

Whenever a flourescent fixture seems to be flashing or blinking during start up the tube should be checked and if there is evidence of blackening it should be changed.

You may have some success in replacing the tube, but generally once the condition has reached the point where the buzzing is constant, the solution is to replace the ballast, preferrable with an electronic ballast, as well as any defective tubes.

Comment

I Posted a similar topic about this issue some time ago with some good feeback and possible resolutions. Problem is I cant seem to find how to get to older topics. All topics from 2004 seem to have disappeared off the face of this site?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I think i will look into getting an electronic ballast. Are these expensive?

Jtfoxman
          Jtfoxman

Comment

In most instances there is very little cost difference between the standard ballast and the electronic ones.

I would suggest you remove your present ballast and take it with you to match the new one.

You would probably have better luch going to an electrical supply house than a big box store so you can consult with someone who really knows how to compare the products.

I realize the big box stores all say they hire trained tradesmen, which is true, but in my experience once they hire them the electricians are off driving the forklift or stacking lumber while the carpenter or carpet layer is working in elecrtical or plumbing...go figure.

Comment

you might wanna check out the following thread:

Comment

Working...
              X
              =