Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient electrical outlets..

I am replacing some electrical outlets in my house and they are extremely old. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anyting about the original outlets. They are actually four prong.

Like this. |
    | |
    |

If you know anything about an outlet like this or if you want pics so you can understand better you contact me on AIM and I will be able to send you the pictures that I have.<center></center>

upon reviewing my post I realize that my diagram is completely useless. I will try to describe the outlet. There are spots for four prongs. all vertical. Two side by side and one over and under the other two.

Comment

I have never seen them. 16x80, have you? How much voltage is supplied to them?
      Try

Comment

No I havent Troy.

Dave send me a picture to my email. I will take a look at it!

16x80
        bmorningstar@cinci.rr.com

Comment

They are on a 120 circuit, but on the outlet it says 250 v. 660 w.

Comment

Dave it sounds to me like you have 220 outlets in place of standard 110 ones. Question how many wires go to each outlet?

16x80

Comment

One of the outlets has two and the other has four. They are in a bedroom so it doesn't make any sense to me that they are 220, however I am rather inexperienced with this type of prohject. Anyway, the outlet that has four wires, two seem to be neutral one is hot all the time and one is hot when turn on the light switch across the room. Also, the light on the ceiling and a wall mounted lamp seem to be connected to this outlet as well.
              Anyway, here are the pics of the outlets.

Comment

I have never in my life seen one of those. Let me do some research and I'll get back to you.

16x80

Comment

yeah, I have been hearing a lot of that from various people... anything you find out would be greatly appreciated. I have been doing alot of research but haven't been able to find out anything yet.

Comment

Dave_07

I have been in contact with a friend of mine who does sales for Richards Electric Supply, He has shown the picture of your outlet to many of the "old timers" he calls them and they are stumped.

He wants to know if you know the maker of the outlet or maybe the amps it handles?

Have you tried to put a standard outlet in its place?

16x80

Comment

Dave, did you ever find out anymore about that outlet? Perhaps it was the forerunner to this one:

I'm still trying to gather up some more info on this particular one as I've been told this outlet could be wired up for either 15 amps/120 volts or 10 amps/240 volts. Looking at the pics you've posted it looks like maybe yours could be done the same way?

Comment

two words: Fire Insurance!

Those are really scary. Have you considered rewiring?

'....Question: ".....can I get a rough estimate over the phone to rewire my house?" ...' Answer: "Somewhere between one thousand and twenty thousand".
                        <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

How do they look scary? They aren't that bad are they? )Other than they're not grounded)

That one he posted I've never seen one like that before...

Comment

WOW!, Never seen those, how old is your house? Back in the day they used whatever they could find that would do the job, whether it was safe or not, I was once replacing a plug in my house and learned that when they intalled the outlet, they had no wire left and they decided to cut a cord of an iron and use it for the outlet.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bluedude2288

WOW!, Never seen those, how old is your house? Back in the day they used whatever they could find that would do the job, whether it was safe or not, I was once replacing a plug in my house and learned that when they intalled the outlet, they had no wire left and they decided to cut a cord of an iron and use it for the outlet.
                              amazing!........when you flushed the toilet did the light come on?

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
                              <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =