Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI

Hello All... a few days ago the GFCI in my kitchen tripped and I can not get it to work again. There are five receptables on this GFCI (including the plate the has the reset/test buttons) - I replaced the actual GFCI unit and the light indicating that it was properly installed will not come on.
    It did indeed rain very hard prior to this happening - but it should be dry by now. Also, there is of course no power coming in to the receptable. I replaced the GFCI because my house is just about ten years old and there are now new and better GFCI units. I reset the GFCI breaker in the garage - and I unplugged everything, even the outlets outside for awhile to help it reset - but nothing!
    I feel that it may be something really simple that I am missing.
    One other thing I should note - I had just purchased a new microwave - which was plugged into one of the GFCI units - it worked fine the first few times it was used - but I know that it was the microwave that tripped it - because last time I used it is when the GFCI stopped working. Any ideas/suggestions you could giveme to try would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

I can't figure out one of your comments. What's the rain got to do with the kitchen circuits? The microwave might trip the GFCI if there's leakage in the power cord and it's leaking microwave energy back into the power lines.
    Have you checked the circuit breaker or the line that's feeding poower to the kitchen? Should be a dedicated line (s)

Comment

moisture can cause problems with a GFCI.. especially with the outdoor outlets..

i'll check outhte points you made... thanks..

Comment

If you suspect the microwave is causing the problem the simply method of testing that theory is to unplug the microwave, then see if the GFCI's will reset. If they do, then you know there is a problem with the microwave.

Comment

It sounds to me like you have a loose wire somewhere on the circuit. You need to open the breaker and check the wireing at all the receptacles. If any of the wires are pushed into the little holes in the backs of the regular receptacles, then you need to remove them and wrap them around the screws on the sides. These backstabbed holes are the culprits of lots of loose connections. Also check under all wirenuts and make sure the connections are tight.

You should start with the last WORKING receptacle on this circuit.

Comment

I know about GFCIs and what can trip them. My history of wiring houses goes back about 40 years. I remember when the codebook cost $6.00 and was a half inch thich - now look at it - $85 and 2 inches thick!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HayZee518

I know about GFCIs and what can trip them. My history of wiring houses goes back about 40 years. I remember when the codebook cost $6.00 and was a half inch thich - now look at it - $85 and 2 inches thick!
              oh wow! that's great! ... but i am certain that moisture can cause trouble with a GFCI....

Lazypup, I did that already with no luck

kactuskid, i will do as you suggested.. hopefully that is the problem... i will let you know within a few days...

Comment

Working...
              X
              =