Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Sub-Panel

I need to run a 220vac (hot-neutral-hot) and 4 or 6 110vac lines from the main breaker box to a bedroom that I am remodeling. I bought a sub-panel box & connected it to a main breaker on the main breaker box, and was planning to run a handful of 14-2 Romex cables back to the bedroom.

Instead of a bunch of small wires, can I run a big wire from the main breaker back to a sub-panel box in the back bedroom, and use short runs from the subpanel to the bit&pieces?

If this works with code, it would decrease my wiring cost, & decrease the power lost in the wiring during non-peak use times, but I don't know if this is ok with code & such.

Thoughts??

Thanks!!

You can run a sub panel anywhere you want as long as you don't install it in a closet or a bathroom. What size breaker will be feeding the sub-panel? 30 amp 10/4 romex, 40 amp - 8/4 romex, 60 amp - 6/4 romex, 100 amp - 2/4 SER (SER means Service Entrance Round)

Comment

Thanks!!

Couple of questions:

1) Why 4-conductor? 3-conductor plus ground?

2) I have about a 150ft run to the sub-panel. Using some calculators I found on the web, I get #4 wire for 60A. You mentioned #6. Is that fora shorter run, or am I just being too conservative?

Bonus round :-) --- Any idea where to find cheap 3-4 plus ground wire?

Thanks!!! I really appreciate the help!

Comment

Attached is a diagram showing you the installation. The fourth wire is for an auxillary ground bar that goes into the sub-panel. The neutral strip in the sub is isolated above ground (no bonding jumper or screw)
        The calculator I found for voltage drop is: www.elec-toolbox.com/calculators/voltdrop.htm

Comment

Cool!

So I'm connecting:

Main Sub
          ---- ---
          Hot1 --- Hot1
          Hot2 --- Hot2
          Neu --- Neu
          GND --- GND

Neutral is tied to ground & the panel at the main panel.
          At the sub-panel, neutral is NOT tied to ground (to avoid carrying neutral current in the ground conductor), and ground is connected to the subpanel case ground (as normal). The ground wire in the cable can be uninsulated.

I really appreciate your help! I hadn't thought about isolating neutral from ground at the sub-panel, but it is obvious once you mention it :-).

Now to find 150ft of #6-3 grounded cable....

thanks!!!

Comment

I also wanted to post here with some questions to make sure my thoughts are right on this.

I have my subpanel installed in my basement and am looking over the wiring now before I make any connections.

I am installing a 100amp breaker in the main panel that runs to a main lug sub. I am using 2/4 wire and the run is about 35 feet.

I noticed as mentioned above that the ground and neutral are combined in my main panel. Is it correct to connect both wires in my main panel (ground and neutral) to the same lug and just make sure they are separate in my subpanel?

Thanks

Jason

also if you could send that 60 amp picture to my email that would be great so I could get a more clear look at it.

camarojweed@comcast.net

Comment

Working...
            X
            =