Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what amp fuses could I use?

I live in an older apt building. The management has told us that we can only use 15amp fuses in our fuseboxes. I have an airconditioner and everytime i use it the fuse gets very hot then blows. I have been using an 15 amp with a breaker in it for now and only leaving the ac turned on for small amounts of time and only at low power. Could I use a higher amp fuse with a breaker instead of just a 15 amp?

The ampacity of a circuit is determined by the type and size of wire that is run from the source to the load. In turn, the fuse or breaker is desinged to function as the weakest link, which means a fuse will blow or a breaker trip before the load gets too great to overload the wire.

You landlord is correct, you should never install heavier fuses because you would then run the risk of overloading the wiring and causeing a fire inside a wall somewhere.

If you have a load, such as your air conditioner, that requires more energy than the circuit is designed to carry, you would need to have a new circuit run specifically to operate that device.

Comment

Check your unit for the amps it draws. If it's a 15 amp unit, then there should be no problem. What may be tripping the fuse is if there's some other load also on the circuit that the unit is on adding to more than the 15 amps. An A/C unit should be on it's own circuit. That may not be the case where you're at. You may have to get a new unit that would be 15 amps or less of a draw.

Comment

If your fusing is fuses then using a time delay 15 amp fuse should work. If your unit draws more than 15 then it won't work.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =