Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding outlets

Hello everyone,
    Ive recently rennovated my basement into a living room, and naturally I want some electricity;running extension cords everywhere would be a hassle and quite tedious. I've looked absolutely all over the internet and havent been able to find a single thing about installing NEW outlets. But theres hundreds of articles about replacing them. Now I dont really plan to put the receptacle into the wall, Im just going to drill and place it onto the wooden beam. I need help with what I should buy for the project and how to set it all up. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

So if I understand correctly, the walls are up and the sheetrock is already installed and now you want to add receptacles? This is sorta a backwards way of doing it, cause if you want to install the electrical boxs ontop of the drywall then you will need to run conduit between all the box's to supply the wireing to the box's. Or, you can install the electrical box inside the wall and fish NM cable within the framed wall to each receptacle. So, depending on which way you want to do it will depend on the instructions.

If the stud walls are open then I can provide you with the proper way to install new receptacles before applying the drywall. This would be your best option.

I would suggest you first buy a good electrical book. The Black and Decker guide to Home Wiring is a good one with lots of pictures to help.

Comment

If you are gonna run surface with EMT there's a "sticky" on illustrations for EMT fittings elsewhere on this forum. They have manufactured elbows "sweeps" if you're squeemish about bending conduit. But if you want to try get a 1/2 gardner bender and follow their instructions on bending. Use a few sticks and practice. Offsets are easy and end of run elbows are easy. back to back nineties are tricky but can be done by the novice. If you don't want EMT, then there's always "wiremold." This is a flat surface mount raceway that has all sorts of fitting for getting around objects. They also have a bender for wiremold.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =