Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bath fan/light wiring

Going to install a bath fan/light unit in three baths in our new house we're building and I want the fans and lights to operate separately. I am hot at the light in two baths and hot at the switch at the last one. Do I run a 14/2 from the hot light to the switch and then a 14/3 from the switch to the unit where I'm hot at the light? Do I run one 14/3 from the switch to the unit where I'm hot at the switch? I guessing I would use one common for the fan and light and the other two wires in 14/3 as hots is this right, or do I need two 14/2's?

If you have power at the switches you only need to run a 14/3 from the f/l unit to the switches. If you want the light to turn on with the existing light, tie the red with that switch or add separate switches. If you want the f/l unit to turn on at the same time, you only need a 14/2 with one switch.

Comment

This drawing should help you

Comment

HayZee518 - The top half of the drawing above is incorrect. Per the NEC, the re-identified white conductor in the cable switch loop may only be used to supply the switch, and not as a return conductor to the switched load.

Comment

OK so have the person doing the wiring change the feed to be an identified white and load the black

Comment

Diagram change - in the first diagram note the white in the three wire is changed to physical connection. 120 feed goes to the black marked white and switch feed. Load is the black

Comment

Working...
            X
            =