Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor "romex" in pvc conduit

I've been installing some outdoor wiring. I was using the insulated 3-wire "romex" style cable which could simply be buried. However, since we have some real gopher activity and I didn't want it to get chewed up I sleved it through PVC conduit as well.

The other day I went to HomeDepot to get some more of that cable and mentioned to the clerk that I would be putting it through the counduit and was told that that should NOT be done, if I was using conduit I should ONLY use separate wires, something about the insulation.

I thought I was being overly safe by using both the "romex" and the conduit. Did I goof?

Shelly

I don't see the harm, especially in PVC. The only thing that might be a problem is if there is not adequate room inside the conduit. Is the PVC large enough to loosely fit the Romex?

Anyone else?

Try

Comment

I used 3/4 inch conduit. Could there be some issue of overheating? Or does code consider things like whether you would ever have to pull the wire out? It seems odd.

Comment

I know of no code which states that you can't do this. Only that you have to have enough room to do it. I don't think overheating is a problem.

Of course, I am sure others know more about it than I do. I am not a master electrician.

I think you made the right decision. Those gophers offer more potential trouble than the pvc ever will.....

Try

Comment

Working...
        X
        =