Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• circuit breaker and AWG

Hi, I have an electric heater for my garage. It draws 16.7 amps. I plan to run a new circuit for this but I'm not sure what amperage breaker I should use and the AWG for the wiring. I have a 20 amp breaker but I think at a draw of 16.7 amps that that would be cutting it close. I also have spools of awg#10 wire and I want to run it through some pvc conduit.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
    Thanks
    Dan

16.7 amps will easily go through 12/2 cable or #12 THHN/THWN. Your choice on a 20 amp breaker is good. For the sake of saving you expense use your 10 ga wire - no problem!

Comment

"I have a 20 amp breaker but I think at a draw of 16.7 amps that that would be cutting it close"

The circuit breaker is your primary safety device. Installing a breaker too big would allow the circuit to overheat before tripping out, therefore in my understanding, you begin by checking the actual load on the device, then select the next higher nominal trade size that would meet the need, which in your case the load is 16.7A and the next nominal trade size is 20A so your breaker is perfect.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
        Dan

Comment

Working...
        X
        =