Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas light spoilage....

Just like lettuce. Keep 'em too long and they spoil over summer. Why do these things go bad so dang easy?? Okay. enough ranting....What I need is to learn how the wiring 'flows' in one of these sets. Ordinarily I'd just toss the set and buy a new one for a few bucks. But these are the large snowflake style. One worked when plugged in, the other two won't. Fuses are good. How can I (relatively easily) find where the problem is to repair? I sure do admire whoever figured out this circuitry!

Cobble up an old socket and connect to your multi-meter set on R X 1. Now plug every bulb into the test socket. "0" means no go, a resistance reading is "ok"Two wires in the loop means series connected, three wires means series/parallel conneted. This becomes a hairy wiring - because in series the sum of the voltage drops equal applied voltage whereas in a parallel circuit the voltage is constant.

Comment

Are you ready for the ultimate confusion? Check this out ----

Comment

? !!

Comment

Don't like Hayzee any more....
          Are you kidding? Okay, okay.....I'm going to try that. It's just having to pluck out all those dinko bulbs! I might be retired, not looking for lifelong projects..Dang! Almost as bad as auto electrical!

Comment

Auto and truck wiring is EASY! Dang Xmas bulbs are mind boggling...

Comment

Would a bad bulb make the whole light set not work?

Comment

Yes it's possible in series connected bulb strings

Comment

Would it be okay to stick the continuity probes in the wires on either side of each bulb? Should I start like that from the hot wire of the plug and proceed up the string that way?

Comment

Save yourself the headache and just go to your local Ace Hardware store and by yourself a light string tester. Here's a link that'll show you how they're used and show you how light strings are wired.

How do I figure out which bulb is burned out on four-wire icicle-type outdoor Christmas lighting? Twenty-five percent of one string is not working. Is there a simple way to determine which bulb needs to be replaced?

Comment

Unbelievable! My (charming as ever) wife brought home a really neat device called the Light Keeper PRO!! Well, this thing not only tells which bulb is bad, it notes where the power exists in a string of lights, checks the polarity, and...BEST OF ALL!! it can even REPAIR a bad set!! I didn't believe it would do it....thought it was a gimmick junk thing. My, my, my! SHe got it at Meijer's...for 15 bucks. IT saved those two snowflakes, and cost me the time to (yuck) read the directions. (don't give me too much grief on that. my bad). www.lightkeeperpro.com

Comment

That's very cool and two thumbs up to your wife. I just love Miejers stores, you must be somewhere in the Midwest cause they are pretty isolated to mainly Michigan and parts of Ohio and Illinois. Well better brace yourself, big storm coming through today.

Comment

South center of Jackson County. About 1/2 mile from the county line. Yes, there's supposed to be another dump on top of the 9" we got a few days ago. It helps enhance the glow from the Christmas lights!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =