Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Way Dimmer Switch

In my dinning room I have a pair of 3 Way sitches that work the light. Is there a such a thing as a 3 Way Dimmer switch? If there is such a switch do I need a pair or just one? Is the wiring different than in a conventional 3 Way light?

Fred

Yes 3-way dimmer switches are available in any home center or electrical supply store. You can install two of them, or leave the existing switch and just install one. The wiring is the same as any 3 way switch.

Comment

The three way dimmer has three wires on it - one black is the identified conductor, the two reds are the travelers. Remove the existing three way switch making note of which wire is connected to the odd colored screw. This is your HOT or RETURN depending on how its connected to the circuit. The other two are the travelers. The black on the rotary dimmer goes to the odd colored screw's wire, the travelers connect to the other two - no polarity needed here.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. This is the very best site for home repair info. Thank you very much.

Fred

Comment

Just to clarify one item. You cannot install a regular 3 way dimmer at both locations. Only one can be the dimmer and the other a 3 way switch.

It is possible to install a dimmer at both locations, but these must be the smart dimmers that cost upwards of $50 a piece

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Fred

Comment

Working...
            X
            =