Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot dimmer switches

How hot should a dimmer switch get? Maximum measureable temperature if measured with a temp. probe. Two of them are installed in the same 2 gang box. Both are rated at 1000 watts. Brand is Lutron Ariadni AY-10P. One side is removed on each dimmer as per installation instructions so they will both fit in the same box. I know this derates them but still way above the actual loads. One load is 525W & the other is 400W, both incadescents. Any answers? Thanks, Dan

Not to worry - those fins dissippate heat to the metal box - they really don't get THAT hot! The commercial powerstats get warm but not enough to burn anything.

Comment

They are mounted in one of those brown non-metallic boxes & there are no fins on them, just the metal on the front that the mounting screws go thru.
      Thanks,
      Dan

Comment

They are so hot I can't hold my finger on them too!

Comment

ideally they should be mounted on a metal box - plastic won't dissapate heat. Just an idea if you want to rig up something. A piece of brass highly polished and varnished and sized so that the box screws just clear the inside opening. Sandwich this between the dimmer(s) and thewall and screw them back on.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =