Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sags & surges

My 60 amp service is around 65 years old & uses 6 glass "Edison" fuses & a cartridge fuse on each hot wire.
    The service is fed by a neutral wire & two hot wires (245 volts between them) each of which feeds half the fuses.
    For the past month or two, when a load is placed on either half of the fuse box, the loaded side will sag five to ten volts and the other half of the box goes UP five to ten in voltage. So, for example, when the refrigerator kicks on, some lights in the house get brighter!
    As a further test, I shut off the main switch to isolate the house wiring & measured 122v between each hot wire & neutral. Then connected a 1400w space heated to one side, which dropped the voltage to 105 & increased the voltage on the other side to 140.
    Before I call the utility provider in, this is THEIR problem, right? What's going on? Thanks,
    Jim

You need to call your power company immediatly, don't hesitate, call them now. Tell them the symptoms, especially how the lights get brighter, they'll send a tech out, for free, to take a look at their side of the system. You no doubt have a loose neutral and the problem could be at the meter or at the pole. If the problem isn't on their side then you'll need an electrician to look at your side

Comment

Yep, tree limbs had broken the wire at the pole. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X
      =