Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recessed light placement

I want to put recessed lights in my kitchen. Everything is great except there is a ceiling joist exactly where I need to put 1 light. What is a good work-around. Thanks

Are your ceiling joists exposed?

Comment

I can see them from the the attic crawl space but not from below. But, I have no problem with making them accessable from the ground.

Comment

It sounds to me like you'll need to install your light at a different location if you want a recessed type. You can't cut the joist to allow for this kind of room. You can install an electrical box beside the joist and then install a regular light fixture to this box, but it will not be recessed. Perhaps installing a strip of track lighting to the electrical box would suffice and allow you to direct the lighting where it's needed.

Comment

Installing a can light

Problem - you want to locate a can light where there is a joist in the way.
          The diagram I drew up may help you. The joist are supported by the plates on either side of the room - shortest distance between them. cut the joist to create a box and install similar 2 X 10 or 12's cross ways. Remove the center board.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I am glad I found this site.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =