Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knob and tube splicing

When I first posted this thread I had a bad link to the picture so now I'm updating this original post with the picture as an attachment.

This is a splice in the attic of my 1953 home. As you can see it's knob and tube and the splice is also under insulation. I bought the home a few months ago and am interested in correcting the wiring deficiencies. I think this splice may be serious saftey problem. I am planning on having the fuse box replaced with a breaker and adding new circuits.

Thank you for you thoughts.
    Last edited by Joe T; 03-25-2006, 09:29 AM. Reason: Picture was not viewable

Your link doesn't work, I click on it and it takes me to a page that says it cannot be displayed. Please post another link so we can take a look at what you have. I'd be surprized if Kand T was installed in 1953 but I guess anythings possible.

Here's a link that'll show you how to make a splice between K&T and romex.http://www.thehomeinspector.com/MMMP...SampleMMM.html

Comment

Are you sure your house was built in 1953? In my limited experience, I have never seen knob and tube post WWII. Does this vary geographically? I am familiar with construction in Mass. and So. Calif.

Comment

Yep it's a 1953 house located about 15 miles West of Cleveland Ohio. Bought from original owner who was 92 years old. Found newspaper clippings from 1953 under attic insulation while tracing wiring. Looked up home's building permits at city building department to confirm. Most of the home on the street were build in the same year.
        Last edited by Joe T; 03-26-2006, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =