Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well pump wiring....

Installed a new well pump. It's a jet pump rinning on a 25' well. Is convertible from the existing 115V to 220V. I would like to run it on 220. IT has a black, white and green (ground) coming from the induction motor. What wire should I use from the panel to switch to motor? How does four lead work with the three leads from the motor? Should I run three lead and red tape both ends of the white?

In order to provide a good code approved answer this question should be posted in the electrical forum.

Comment

good call, LazyPup, post is moved...
      Try

Comment

Moved post......

Thanks guys for keeping me on the straight and narrow here....

Comment

Two lead plus ground is all that's necessary. With a pure 240 volt circuit there is no need for a neutral so you just need to remark the existing white wire as a hot wire buy coloring the bottom 6 inches using a black majic marker at all connection points, including the motors white wire. Then install a double pole breaker and connect both the hot wires to the breaker. Make sure the switch is a 2 pole switch so both hot feeds are interuppted when the switch is opened, this is for safety reasons. I'm assuming you can use the existing wiring but if for some reason you want to run new, again, 2 wires plus a ground is all you'll need. Just make sure you size it correctly since the run is so long. Here's a link that'll show you how to determine the size wire necessary to account for the voltage drop.

http://www.elec-toolbox.com/calculators/voltdrop.htm

Comment

On line calculator....

Thanks, kaktuskid for that info. Will now be able to go with confidence. No understanding....but confidence.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =