Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Bathroom Wiring...

Hello! I've been lurking on this forum a while and think it's really great! I have a question hopefully someone can answer for me. In my bathroom, I have an outlet that is near the sink, and then a triple switch that is on another wall, near the toilet. The triple switch has the light over the sink, the light over the shower stall, and the fan on it. I'd like to put an outlet (double probably) next to the switch so I can put up a shelf and keep my blow dryer and curling iron out of the sink space. I know since there's water, it needs to be a GFI outlet, but can anyone tell me if this is a manageable task for a fairly handy single mom to attempt? I have a good set of tools and can follow directions. Any advice as to how complicate this will be would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Rebecca

Rebecca,

Great to see you've joined in.

There are a couple of ways to add a new GFCI outlet, here are a few that come to mind:

1: Replace two of the single switches with a double switch, freeing up a spot for the new recepticle. You should even be able to find one that is labelled FAN and LIGHT for use with your exhaust fan/light combo.

2: Replace the circuit breaker with a GFCI breakers and then replace one of the switches with a switch/outlet combo. These have a switch and outlet in the space of a single switch.

3: Remove the triple box and replace it with a quad box. Giving you the extra space.

In addition to the above parts... you will need a voltage tester, screw drivers and wire cutters to do this. As well as a short length of wire and possibly wire nuts.

If you want to tackle one of these options let me know for more detailed instructions.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Working...
    X
    =