Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding outlets to a deck

I recently added a deck to our house and want to add outlets as needed. I have done wiring before but msotly adding fixtures not outlets. I have a live line under the deck that I spliced and ran to 3 different outlets and none work. It is still live at the initial splice but not at the ends of the runs. Can I run them this way or do I need to run them in a series? This will cause a much longer run and more wiring, thus the reson I ran the splices....

In the junction box that you made the splices in, are the wires all connected black to black, white to white and ground to ground? This is what's required in order for the individual receptacles to work properly.

Comment

I did tie black to black, white to white and ground to ground....wiring this way should work as well as the series then? all were conneceted with wire caps, then insulated with tape in the box...when the outlets did not work, I tested power at the outlet and got nothing so I went back to the original feed( which used to run 3 oulets and a ceiling fan in the porch I tore down) and the feed was live.

Comment

Yes, you can run the 3 receptacle branches out from the J-Box connections no problem, it should work. But since they're not working that means you either have a loose/open connection at the J-Box or you have a break in your wiring. Seeings how all 3 receptacles aren't working I would guess the problem is in the J-Box.

Are you sure you have 120 volts between the hot and neutral and between the hot and ground on the incomming power wires at the J-Box?

Comment

I will check the feed tonight and the connections again..thanks

Comment

sir, don't get confused with series and parallel wiring. for example the newer xmas tree lights are series connected, when one lamp burns out they all go out. in parallel like the real old xmas tree lamps - when one burned out the rest of the string stayed lit. outlets and lighting for houses is all connected in parallel. the only series connection is in a lamp - switch circuit - the switch is in series with the hot and lamp load.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =