Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light - Light - Switch Wiring Question

What is correct for wiring in this sequence?

Light - Light - Switch

I found the following diagram:

Wiring a light switch where two lights are operated by one switch is demonstrated in this detailed wiring diagram.

But, I don't need the two wires going out to the right for two more receptacles. If that is the case, do I need 12/3 wire between the lights?

Thank you in advance.

-mark

If supply power is coming into one of the lights first, then yes, you need to install 12/3 between the lights in order to be controlled by one switch. The switch is being wired in a switch loop fashion so the white wire is actually a hot wire and not a neutral wire. You'll need to mark it as so by coloring it at both ends using a black magic marker.

Here's another link that'll show you how to install this type of circuit.
    This website is for sale! danswiringpage.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, danswiringpage.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Thank you. As you suggested, I would like to have the power go to one of the lights first to minimize the number of wires in the switch box. I have looked all over the internet for all of this information but had not found dan's page.

-mark

Comment

Is there a switch box already in use that has wires going into it? If there is then you'd only be adding a 12/2-g cable to wire it switch=light=light.

By wiring the switch as a switch loop instead just be aware that you will never be able to tap power from this switch as there will be no neutral wire available.

Comment

Originally posted by kactuskid View Post
          Is there a switch box already in use that has wires going into it? If there is then you'd only be adding a 12/2-g cable to wire it switch=light=light.

By wiring the switch as a switch loop instead just be aware that you will never be able to tap power from this switch as there will be no neutral wire available.
          For these lights, I am adding a new switch box to my kitchen. However, I appreciate the warning about not being able to tap power from this switch in the future. I did not think of that ramification.

Thank you for all of your help.

Comment

two lights - remote switch

Here's an "instant diagram for your wiring problem

Comment

Working...
            X
            =