Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here know anything about these outlets?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here know anything about these outlets?

Hi, I'm curious in learning more about this particular receptacle, when it was made, what was the last year it was used, and what's with those extra slots in it?

One person has told me it's a combination 15a/20a outlet, then someone else tells me it could be used as either a 15 amp/120 volt outlet or a 10 amp/240 volt outlet. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanx.

Dawg,

You are right in in that they can handle either type of power connection or plug. The danger is that if it is wired 240 then a ungrounded 120 plug (from a lamp for example) could be plugged into it. I believe the outlet was mostly used for heaters or devices that contained heating elements.

Hope this helps, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Thanx Jim for the reply.

Hhhmm...I've not heard that they were used with heaters and such. I might be wrong but I was thinking it was for use in foreign countries. Because most of the 240 volt outlets I've seen in the US consist of two hot 120 volt lines, then the neutral and in some of the newer homes, a ground. Over in some middle eastern countries I believe it's only one 240 volt line, then the neutral. Funny thing is I've never saw the plug that would fit into those extra slots.

Any idea when these were made?

Thanx.

Comment

I remember these similar looking outlets back 50-60 years ago. My Parents had a house (in Canada) with these.Back in those days they used "Knob & Tube wiring without the third grounding wire. Some of the small 110V appliances, (Toaster, Kettle) used the HORIZONTAL BLADE instead of the vertical blades. The one you have looks like it says on it;125V,10 Amp, so its a N. American type alright. Hube

Comment

Thanx Hube...pretty cool to know. But now if they were to be wired for 240 V would that be one 240 volt line and one neutral? Or ?? Was this the first 240 volt system that N. Americal used before the current 240 system (two 120 volt lones + neutral) we have now existed?

Comment

Working...
          X
          =