Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut Romex Wire Question for Professionals

I was putting in a RCA cable through the wall for my stereo
    and accidently cut through a Romex wire.

There is no slack to pull from either left or right to connect them again so I temporarily put in a jumper.

What is the best way for me to fix this the correct way?

Can put a splice box on a stud, and splice the left/right wires together and put them in the splice box? Would this conform to NEC?

WOuld this be ok? I would like to know the professional way how to fix this.

Thanks

ToolJob

fasten a 2X4 new work box to the left or right whichever way the feed is coming from so that its surface is equal to the finish wall surface. run another length to the remote outlet or adjacent stud where you've fastened another box then splice a wire between the two boxes. Once your finish wall is up use two blank plates - one on each box to complete the repair - other option is to run a whole new length if accessible from start to finish. in place splicing without a box is a no-no as is butt splices or exposed wirenuts.

Comment

Yeah, if you can make all the connections inside a box whether a handy box or whatever, you'll be cool.BUT, what , you have to remember and it is too bad, the box, with the blank cover, must be PERMANENTLY ACCESSiBLE to comply with 2004 or was it 2006 NEC. that's it....
      It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

I had the same problem when drilling a hole to run cable tv into another room. Out of all the places, the large bit found the romex.
        The romex I cut is a light/outlet feed in the attic and after not liking the tape option, I read here to install a box. This is up in the attic and there was plenty of slack in the romex. I installed a metal box with cover at the problem area to create a splice, but also I really wanted a light in the attic so I ran a new piece of romex (about 12') from this splice at the new box to a a second new metal round box with light base at a good location. Now I'm just wondering, did I screw things up by adding the lamp? I really don't know where this modification was made in relation to the whole circuit (end, middle, etc). Do I need to have an inspection of this modification???

Comment

as a rule EVERYTHING electrical should have an inspection. But I don't think anybody's gonna say anything if you did your work correctly. Adding a light as you did didn't create any problems.

Comment

Thanks for the reply hayzee. I've only learned that I will never do home wiring again as I am an engineer and not someone who does it everyday with confidence. I used GardnerBender wirenuts and did not pretwist. It seems there is a lot of controversy over the subject. There is now no slack left in the wire to go back an redo with pretwist, so I hope GB instructions on 'unnecessary to pretwist' are correct!! Us anal engineers tend to overthink everything and from now on I'll let a pro do it!

Comment

I always twist the connections before applying ANY brand of wirenut. A good mechanical connection is always paramount. About the only wirenut you don't have to twist is an old Buchanan sleeve and cap. There's a set screw in the connector and the cap merely screws onto brass threads cast into the connector.

Comment

The important point as already described is that splices must remain accessible....meaning in a box with a cover that can be readily accessed and removed for any future trouble shooting or repair . You will need two junction boxes to splice in the extra length you need;

Comment

Working...
                X
                =