Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding a 4-way to a 3-way

Okay. I currently have a 3-way setup. I am about to add a 4-way at the other entrance to the laundry room.

I have 2-wire coming in to a 3-wire wired to a 3-way switch......from here the 2 wire leaves the box to supply the ceiling light and ceiling outlet, which is controlled by these 2 wall switches-soon to be 3 wall switches.

Upon examining this switch, the 2 blacks go to the bottom screws, white and red are together and the other white goes to the common.

Here is what I am going to do : splice in the box (maybe get an 18.0 handy box to accomodate 3-14/3 and 1 14/2 ) the incoming 3-wire noting which is the common. run 14/3 to and from the 4-way switch, to way over yonder.

CLOUDY PROCEDURE:

since the red and white are spliced together above, how does this affect how I wire the switch at the other end, the 4-way switch?

do I keep convention and splice white(s) and wire red and black to the switch top one cable pair (b & R) , the same for the bottom?

Thanks

hope this is clear as mud.
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

3way & 4 way

I took one of my drawings and modified it to fit your problem - you can use 14/2 or 12/2 between the four way box and the three way -or- if you can find a 14/4 will cut down on space.

Comment

Hey JM , i knew you'd have an answer. I did have a problem at first with one switch working only when another switch was switched but went back and started at one end and worked my way back...Now the entire system works like a charm! It is really like a big puzzle, especially the 4-way systems.....thank you for your help...i always know I can come to this forum for help and have people over at my house think I know what I'm doing! LOL!

Happy Holidaze

>V<
      It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =