Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell-tale light...

Need some way of telling when power comes back to the house while running generator. Am thinking of installing a small indicator light on the top that runs off of one leg from the meter (and before the main/generator connection box). Any thoughts? one leg to hot, the other to neutral. Small orange or yellow or red little glass domed lamp...

yeah that seems ok. a neon lamp with a dropping resistor night work better and for a longer period of time. be careful, there is no fusing on the secondary of the transformer that is feeding your house. if you can call your utility and ask them if you can break the meter seal and pull the meter, then put in your indicator. better put in a small 1/2 amp inline fuse with the bulb. then replace the meter and have the utility reseal the meter.

Comment

Tell-tale....

Neon lamp, dropping resistor, 1/2 amp fuse. Okay, the fuse part...is this the glass cylinder ones with metal capped ends, auto type? So I would need a fuse holder in the panel box. And the neon lamp, I can get that at RS along with a dropping resistor? And they would know what a dropping resistor is?
      Thanks, Hayzee....

Comment

yeah, an ne-51 neon with a current dropping resistor - 33K 1/2 watt I think. plus an inline fuse & holder.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =