Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making new outlet for stove?

Hello I'm new here and have read a lot of helpful replys. I just bought a house that was built in 75, and we want to put in a new stove but the old stove is a drop in that is hard wired. The wiring for the 220 is alluminum, but my home inspector said it was done right at the main panel so there should not be a problem. Is there something special I need to do to make a new outlet because I am using the alluminum wiring? Or is it the same as hooking up copper? Please help. oh yea there is no ground wire coming from the wall but there is one red, one black, and one bare allum. wire. Is the bare one a nuetral or is it a ground? Thnx

All new wiring for a range MUST comply with the new code, therefore, you must use a four wire receptacle and a four wire pigtail. before I get ahead of myself are you replacing the drop in or wiring another with a pigtail and plug?

Comment

I am replacing the drop in stove w/ a new range that requires a plug, so I need to make a receptical for the new plug. If I only have three wires coming from the wall, how do I get the fourth wire to make a 4 prong outlet?

Comment

OK, in that case you must run a new cable from the panel to your location. The cable must have four wires - two hot a neutral and an earth ground. minimum cable size 8/4 romex - 8/4 is good for 40 amps. next size is 6/4 romex. pick up a two pole 60 breaker for your installation if you are using 6/4 or a two pole 40 if you are using 8/4. also get a four wire pigtail for at least 50 amps and a similar receptacle for 50 amps. on the range if there is a jumper between the center terminal and the equipment ground, remove it. your pigtail will connect two outside terminals the two hots, the center nickel colored screw the white neutral and the bare goes to the green colored terminal.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =