Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220 to 110 conversion

I have an existing 220 line (outdoors) that I no longer need and want to use the wiring for an additional 110 outdoor box, what do I need to do and is it easy to do, I know I will need a GFI box, but what do I do with the current power line and what do I need to do at the circuit panel.

What size is the wire (cable) ? If it is 12 gauge or 14 its easy to re-wire. 10 gauge might give you a problem putting the wire around the screws. Anything bigger is a different ballpark.

Comment

My guess is that it is either 6 or 8 as it ran a hot tub with either 50 amps or 60 amps

Comment

OK first thing is that the wire - either 6 or 8 is too big to go around the receptacle's screw. you can use it however as the current carrying cable. Disconnect the wire from the two pole breaker in the panelbox. Disconnect the wire from outside. In the panelbox, use a large scotchlock wirenut - I think it's a 78B and splice in a piece of #12 white to the white and connect to the neutral bus. Do the same with the black to a #12 black. Pull out the two pole 50 or whatever is there and put in a single pole 20. Connect the black to this. OUTSIDE - I hope you have the room in the box - do the same splicing in a white and black 12. The black will go to the brass screw, the wire on the nickel colored screw on the gfci. you can bond the green screw to the box ground if the box is metal otherwise splice a green wire to the bare ground on the cable and connect t the green screw on the gfci.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =