Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connecting EMT and NMT

I want to put in a GFCI outlet on the wall outside our house. On the other side of the wall inside the garage, I have a 20amp circuit that ends right there so I want to punch a 7/8" hole through the brick and mortar. Then I want to run grey schedule 40 PVC to carlon grey water tight plastic boxes and through the wall and tie into the existing metal handy box inside....I like conduit in the garage but at some point there will be a point where schedule 40 will either meet 1/2" EMT or the handy box.

Do they make connectors for this ..I can't find this and don't know how the NEC reads for this application.

Anyone have any ideas?
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

there is threaded type fittings that you could use
    Last edited by Java_Bob; 01-06-2010, 10:50 AM.
    Is it beer thirty??

Comment

OKAY , we are getting closer.

Lets say 1/2" schedule 40 to 1/2" metal conduit. do they make such a thing?

or

can I run schedule 40 PVC to a metal handy box?

Comment

Sure you can run PVC to a metal box. Be sure to ground/bond the box with the grounding conductor you run in the conduit.

Comment

you use a 1/2 inch pvc male adapter, a galvanized steel coupling and a 1/2 inch compression or screw type male connector. if you join the two together you'll need to pull a green ground wire from the junction box through both runs of conduit to your destination.

Comment

I will be running 12/2 on a 20A circuit. will I need to pull an additional green wire? Where will it go to? I am using a grey plastic box, with grey schedule 40 conduit through the wall to it and everything will be plastic and sealed.....also a 20A GFCI cover/weatherproof outlet.

At least this is my plan!

Comment

Why are you using cable in conduit? You should use #12THHN conductors if this is a complete conduit system.

Just use this on the end of the conduit with a lock-nut inside the box:

If you are using plastic boxes do they have hubs for the conduit to enter?

Comment

you can't use 12/2 inside a conduit for long runs. the thhn/thwn needs to be run inside the conduit. because the conduit is plastic you must run an additional wire (green) for the equipment ground. the yoke of the receptacle is made of metal and is connected to the ground prong inside the receptacle. that's why you need the additional wire (green)

Comment

VDOT your conduit run

This diagram may straighten out a few things. ok you're using pvc conduit. because there is no equipment ground in plastic you must pull in a green ground wire. if the metal tubing is connected to a metal junction box then for intents and purposes the tubing is grounded, but there's no way to continue the ground with the plastic. that is why an additional ground wire must be used. in some instances romex can go through "short" lengths of emt for mechanical protection only NOT for complete runs. granted its easier to push romex through a pipe then seperate conductors, but the cable's insulation doesn't have the correct temperature rating i.e. three conductors in free air. seperate conductors do.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =