Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Recessed Lights

Alright guys, I'm sort of confused. I've done wiring projects in the past, but none that involve a switch. Here's my layout. I'm running 12-2 cable from my 20 amp breaker to a Lutron single pole dimmer switch. I will have the black on the power side connected to the dimmer, and the black from the outgoing 12-2 wire connected to the dimmer as well. I will have the white from the power connected to the white outgoing wire nutted. Now, since I'm running power to the switch first, can I use 12-2 wire to connect all of the recessed cans together? (six total) Or do I have to use 12-3 from the first to the second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth can? Any advice will be appreciated. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I need to go buy 12-3 cable.

No 12/3! 12/2 is sufficient to wire everything. the wires running to the cans are pallelled - white to white and black to black for the entire run. the dimmers are rated 600 watts.

Comment

Thanks Hayzee. I already got started wiring some of the lights up and it's working great. My wiring projects are a little simpler than most others. With the new electrical system, I can run everything new on it's own circuit. I'm running 6 6" cans, with 65 watt bulbs each, on 12-2 wire, on a 20 amp circuit, and a Lutron 600 watt dimmer. I should be good to go I would think.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =