Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220 disconnect

kiln is 69 amps panel is 200 amps going from panel to a 100 amp disconnect with 2-80 amp fuses. the kiln recommends 4 gauge wire. can i use that from panel to hot leads in disconnect and than use a smaller solid copper for the nuetral wires from the panel and from the kiln. also I do not see a nuetral or ground bar in disconnect so do I just wire nut the nuetral from panel and from kiln toghether in side of the disconnect box?
    thanks ken

240 Kiln disconnect

I checked the "good book" and #4 stranded THHN/THWN copper will safely carry 85 amps. For an equipment ground I'd use #8 stranded bare wire. The disconnect's case needs to be grounded so purchase an auxillary ground bar and install it in intimate contact within the disconnect. Feed the line (ground) and the load side (ground) into this ground bar. If there isn't a ground connection inside the kiln's terminal box, get a #8 scru-lug and bolt it to the case inside.
    The following diagram will give you an idea.
    The flex that goes from the disconnect to the kiln should be no more than 6 feet. Two #4 & 1 #8 will go in a 1 inch flex commonly called "greenfield." You could use "sealtite" with appropriate fittings but no more than six feet long.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =