X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-Way Wiring Question

I have rough wired the following

1. Power to switch from the subpanel
    2. Recessed lights are mounted (5) and wired all of the boxes to the box mentioned in #1
    3. Mounted two additional boxes to controll these lights thus creating a 4-Way Switch.
    4. Plan to put in 2 three way switches along with 1 four way switch.

There is a double gang box that will contain one of the three way switches mentioned above. To this box I ran 14-3 wire (Black, Red, White, Copper) from the 4-way switch. Also within this box is a switch that I wish to controll a light that is not part of the 4-way mentioned above. The question I have is ... can I power the three way switch in the box that contains the 4-way switch from that same 14-3 Wire?

Thanks

NO! the way it works is power is fed into a box with a three way switch. the white from the line is spliced together with the white in the three wire. from this box a three wire runs to the box with the four way switch, the white wire is spliced, the three wire extends to the other three way switchbox. the load is taken off the white wire and the odd colored screw off the remote three way switch. reason you can't power another is that there is no constant hot in that box.

Comment

4 way solved

the following graphic explains how to wire your problem. Hot wire and load in same box - three wire to four way and from four way to remote three way

Comment

Working...
      X
      =