Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone answer my question

can a bad outlet affect the rest of the outlets on that circuit? in both bedrooms, all the power is off, except for one outlet in each room. im assuming that the one outlet works is on a diffrent circuit. could a bad one affect the rest. breaker is not the problem, im confused, please help

All outlets are wired in parallel with each other. The fact you have one outlet working is a plus. New houses - the contractor probably used back or quick wire outlets to save time. If you have any idea which way the cable run was run from your live outlet check downstream from there. Pull that outlet and see what is connected and how. Brand new cables in construction have been known to be open in either conductor from the factory.

Comment

I had an incident where the TV was working in a Living Room but other things would not. I removed the first receptacle that wasn't working and didn't find anything wrong other than I didn't have any power. I went back in line to the TV outlet which was working. I removed that outlet and found that everything was pigtailed and wired according to code, however the neutral going on down the line was loose in the connector. I removed the connecter and using my linesmens I retwisted the whole group again making sure each conductor was twisted twice. I then put on the wire nut and everything was copasetic!

Comment

Working...
      X
      =