Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stelpro covention wall heater exploded

I have a electric convection wall heater by Stelpro. It has a built in themostat on the top to set desired temperature.

It is in the entrance of my house and it used to heat only the small entrance area.

Today my furnace fan (forced air oil furnace with direct drive fan) died so I had no heat in the house. While waiting for service visit I decided to open the door to entrance way to allow the heat generated by this electric wall heater to come into the house.

About 2 hours after doing that I heard a very loud bang like a gun going off. I walked around to see what happened and found the heater was all black on the top around the thermostat. There was even black soot on the wall around the thermostat.

There is a note in manual that says " An activated thermal protection (overheat sensor) warns us that the heater has been subjected to abnormal condition." I suspect that thnks to this sensor my warranty will be not honored.

I guess these units cannot handle running for 2 hours staight. Fun how a cheapo electric baseboard can do this with no problems.

Do you think I am gong to have warranty issues???

PS: Just bought house and just sign maintenance agreement for furnace 2 days ago. Because 1st service visit not even done, my furnace fan problem won't be covered. I suspect I will need a new one and have not got idea what that will cost. Not a good day at all.

the fan motor will probably be around $86- $130.00. The wall heater - the thermostat faulted between the two phases or one phase and ground. could be from continuous use.
    Last edited by HayZee518; 11-13-2007, 09:23 PM. Reason: misread the posting

Comment

Working...
    X
    =