Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken or Tripped Circuit Breaker?

While using a hair-dryer, the power was lost for a few outlets in one room.
    Normally, I believe this would just be a matter of switching the circuit breaker to Off, and then On, and it should be fine.
    However, when I look at the circuit breakers, none of them seemed to have tripped. I also don't know exactly which one is for that room because all are not labeled. (I recently moved to this place).
    By trial and error, I moved one circuit braker at the time to Off-and then ON, but nothing changed. The outlets still don't work.

Is this a broken circuit, where I should replace the entire circuit braker?
    And how can I determine which is the bad circuit braker?
    Some of them are also "coupled" two and two, if that makes any sense?

Thanks! Obviously a novice....

Some of them are also "coupled" two and two, if that makes any sense?
    those should be 240 volt for A/C, stove, etc don't worry about those..

I would try reseting all the other ones...

Have you seen any outlets that have a little button on it (GFCI) maybe there is one there some were..
    Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Ok, so I'll leave the 240s alone.
      But I did reset all circuit brakers, to no help.

I looked up the GFCI outlets, and I believe we have one of those, but not in the outlet where the hair dryer was plugged in.
      The actual hair dryer has a similar button, but I guess that is irrelevant. The hair dryer works fine in other outlets.

Thank you!
      Last edited by froddan; 12-04-2007, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I looked up the GFCI outlets, and I believe we have one of those, but not in the outlet where the hair dryer was plugged in.
        doesn't have to be, GFCI's can feed other outlets off of it
        Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Ok, I will check all outlets for GFCI buttons tonight.
          Will respond later tonight whether I find one or not!

Thanks a lot!

Comment

most circuit breakers when they trip assume a center position, but some when they trip do not. As you stated you moved them (single pole) units to the extreme off until they click then back on. Westinghouse, Crouse-Hinds, Challenger, GE, Arrow-Hart, breakers move to the center. Cutler-Hammer does not. Square D has a red indicator when tripped. Square D "push-matic has a red flag when it trips. A gfci receptacle has two buttons on it. a red and black. one is used to test the receptacle the other is used to reset from the tripped condition. A gfci receptacle has two extra terminals on it so it can feed "downstream" of its location. When it trips it will trip the downstream circuits connected to it.

Comment

Ok, there are no GFCI outlets in the entire downstairs area.
              I tested the two I have (in the kitchen) and reset, and that works fine.

So I guess I need to check the brand of the brakers.
              What is strange to me, is that I can't figure out which breaker it could be.
              There is one "double" 240 V breaker that is for the same room. I'm not sure why it is double because it only goes to some light and other outlets in the same room as where the broken outlets are.
              I will take a picture, and draw a little diagram.
              Thanks for your help!!!!

Comment

that could be for a 220 volt window A/C unit

good luck
                Is it beer thirty??

Comment

as java bob said it could be for an air conditioner. on the other hand a breaker with a tie bar can feed a multi wire circuit. by multiwire I mean, say an two duplex outlets in the kitchen each independently fed by its own breaker. Because of its close proximity to the other outlet, when one trips out you'd assume the other to also be dead but in actuality it isn't. that's the reason for the tie bar or a 240 breaker with one on - off handle. internally it's a common trip arrangement.

Comment

The tie bar isn't for an A/C Unit. When I turn the tie-bar to "OFF" the power is cut to the other lights in the room where the broken outlets are.
                    Assuming that I identify all other breakers, and they work fine, and the only one left is the multi-breaker, should I try to replace this breaker?
                    Could I try to remove the tie-bar and turn them Off one by one?

At this point, it seems to me that the breaker is broken?

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                    as java bob said it could be for an air conditioner. on the other hand a breaker with a tie bar can feed a multi wire circuit. by multiwire I mean, say an two duplex outlets in the kitchen each independently fed by its own breaker. Because of its close proximity to the other outlet, when one trips out you'd assume the other to also be dead but in actuality it isn't. that's the reason for the tie bar or a 240 breaker with one on - off handle. internally it's a common trip arrangement.

Comment

you can try to remove the tie bar. if it is rivetted together don't try you could destroy the breaker. sometimes contractors buy a snap in tie bar that goes over two single pole units.

Comment

It's not the breaker, it's a loose connection. It could be at the closest working receptacle on the same circuit or on one of the nonworking receptacles. Probably a push-in connector that has worked loose.

Comment

So could I check for the loose connection in the outlet that broke?
                          Would it make sense that this connection broke while the hairdryer was being used?

How can you be sure that the breaker is working properly?
                          Do they never break?

Originally posted by normel View Post
                          It's not the breaker, it's a loose connection. It could be at the closest working receptacle on the same circuit or on one of the nonworking receptacles. Probably a push-in connector that has worked loose.

Comment

How can you be sure that the breaker is working properly?
                            to do that you need to open up the panel, and i am not sure you would feel comfortable doing that...
                            Is it beer thirty??

Comment

I just looked again at your original posting. there was no mention of a broken outlet. then, yes this is a place to start. normel is correct in stating to "check the outlets that use the push in terminals in back of the outlet." a loose neutral or loose hot could cut power to the downstream outlets. since you don't know which breakers feed your circuits, be extremely careful when you remove a coverplate and outlet. the outlet might completely fall apart and you'd be in trouble. in answering your question about the breakers you need an analog meter from radio shack. if you have any doubts about what you are doing DON'T hire somebody to do it for you who knows what to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =