Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding A Sub Panel

My 200 amp panel has all the breakers used up ( I have electric heat
    with each heater on its own 220 breaker). I want to add a 100 amp panel for additional breakers, not any big additions or power usages anticipated.
    Questions is what is the best way to add a 100 amp sub panel. If I jump from a 220 breaker on the 200 amp box would the new box be limited to the size of the breaker I jump off of ie: 30 amp breaker?

what you would do is remove a double pole breaker in your main and put in a two pole 100 amp breaker. next to the main you'd put in a main lug sub-panel. feed it with #2 copper four wire or #1 four conductor aluminum. Inside the subpanel the neutral would be isolated above ground and an auxillary ground bar would be fastened in intimate contact with the metal enclosure. the bare conductor (ground) would go to the aux strip, the white to the neutral (no bonding screw) and the two hots to the main lugs. Re-route the cable that was connected to the original two pole breaker to your sub panel and install its two pole breaker there and connect up the wires.
    Last edited by HayZee518; 05-12-2008, 11:21 AM. Reason: added a sentence

Comment

Working...
    X
    =