Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric mast Clamp Comming Lose

The electric mast on the back of my house has 2 clamps holding the mast to the wall. The top clamp has pulled away from the brick wall about 1/2 inch. The mast is leaning slightly and I think that the roof is holding the mast from leaning any farther. My question is how to repair the problem. I know that a new clamp will have to be installed and hopefully I with some help can straighten up the mast with out too much trouble.I have been quoted by 1 electrician (over the phone he has not seen the problem) $350 to $375. I feel that is very high. Can you tell me what should be done and give me an approximate cost the reapir this.

find out the size of the pipe - it can be 1 1/4 inch or 2 inch. they make galvanized two hole straps for either. use 5/16 inch RAWL-PLUGS or 5/16 inch lag shields. you'll need to drill a 1/2 inch hole in the masonary to accept either anchor. use one lag bolt in each hole and draw it up gradually from both sides. you should be able to pull the pipe to as near normal as possible without pulling out the anchor shield. 3 hundred bucks is a little steep for two bolts and a strap!

Comment

Thanks for the info. You sure gave me an answer that is helpful and the reply was fast and to the point.

Comment

If the electrician was quoting replacement of the bent mast pipe itself, the quote you were given was right in line. The 2" rigid conduit alone costs about $50 or $60, not to mention the new flashing boot and the labor.

If he was quoting you a price just to secure the mast to the wall, I agree that it is steep.

If this problem continues, you might consider installing a tieback wire from the top of the mast to the roof. The utility company often requires them when the distance from the roof surface to the weatherhead exceeds a couple feet.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =