Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somewhat, the install is very strange.

The line side of the meter has a ~8" section of normal conduit, no knife switch or other cut-off.

The fuse panel itself is pretty standard, very similar to the one pictured below...

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Comment

in that panel the left pullout is the MAIN, the right side is the RANGE pullout. the neutral is at the bottom. The two lugs at the bottom left are the hot lugs for an extra feed out. [as you see already connected]

Comment

Old Service Entrance

The following picture [ hope you can make it out] is typical of a basement meter location (circa 1950 on)

Comment

They do have another sub panel already in the garage but it is very small; so they are using the extra feed out. For sure no more than 2 15A fuses.
          Last edited by DKAudio; 06-02-2008, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I went over there yesterday and explained to them that to up the service they need bigger conduit, a new meter trough, going through the soffit attic and out through the roof because they are way below the current minimum height for lines, and a permit/inspection would be a must. They don't have a lot of extra money right now so we are just changing their 60A fuse panel to a 60A breaker panel and then doing a double pole 30A sub in the garage (he wants 220 out there).

Just curious, how many spots are in a typical 60A breaker box?

I noticed something else yesterday too. They ran out of spots in the fuse box so when the central furnace was put in they installed a switched fused plate mouted to a normal switch J-box and the wire is tapped right into the mains. I don't think that passes anymore, does it?

Thanks

Comment

Nope, not in any way, shape or form.
              Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
              Every day is a learning day.

Comment

[quote=DKAudio;26028]Ok Tom, I got another electrical job from a neighbor. Right now they have a 60A fuse box, the lines from the electric company look pretty small too. We are hoping they will handle 100A service. They are not pulling a permit or having it inspected even though I recommended it. Their electric meter is actually in the basement right next to the panel. Their weathercap and conduit are mounted under the soffit (does not go through the attic). It has a 90* bend and then runs down the exterior wall and into the basement.

This is what I am planning on doing.

Install new lines 4 AWG CU and weathercap to the line side of the meter and from the load side to the panel.

Replace their old 60A fuse box with a 100A breaker panel.

I will bond their water meter but probably won't drive a ground rod.

Install a 60A breaker sub panel in the garage. To do this I can just use a double pole 60A breaker using 6-3 with ground, correct? I know the sub panel must have an isolated neutral and ground will be bonded to the enclosure.

Code requires a ground rod at both locations. If the garage is attached.

Comment

Originally posted by buckofdurham View Post
                  Code requires a ground rod at both locations. If the garage is attached.
                  I think you mean if the garage is DEtached.

Comment

Yes, detached.
                    And a 100 amp service is the minimum allowed in a single family dwelling. A panel rated for 60 amps probably won't have more then 8 spaces. You would have to use a 100 -125 amp panel and feed it with the 60. Which it should be a 100 to be code compliant.

Comment

there's something in the code book called the ten foot tap rule and the twenty five foot tap rule. has to do with taps off the main. it can be done but not recommended.
                      60 amp panelbox - circuits normally not over 20 spaces.

Comment

you won't find a 60 amp panel with 20 spaces in it.

Comment

Right now they have 8 spaces, 2 for 220V central AC pullout and 6 screw type fuses.

I know 100A is now the min but again, they do not want to replace the conduit, go through the roof to raise the height, do a new meter trough, etc.

They do indeed have 1" conduit, for 100A service I need a min of 1.25". As Tom pointed out earlier only 2 #4s can go in 1".

Thanks

Comment

grade to service clearance 12 feet over residential drivways, 18 ft over roads where truck traffic is common.

Comment

This would be in their backyard. I'm 6' and can easily reach up and grab them.

Comment

Originally posted by DKAudio View Post
                                This would be in their backyard. I'm 6' and can easily reach up and grab them.

Bottom of the drip loop has to be ten feet off the ground.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =