Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hvac

This may sound a little crazy but here goes. I am getting a 5 ton central air and elec heat installed>........ The eletrician i'm using is making a list of what i need but he says it's going to be expensive. I have 200 amp main,what would be the supplies involved in running this? The disconnect outside would be about 30ft. from main and the inside unit would be about 10ft. Sorry if this sounds crazy but i'm a lady with limited funds and i don't want to get ripped off Thanks

ok, any new a/c install requires a remote disconnect for the compressor/condenser unit for servicing the unit(s). because the air handler is within ten feet of the panelbox in the basement, its close enough to use the panelbox breaker as the disconnecting means. also, the electrician may or may not opt to install a 120 volt receptacle at the condenser/compressor unit. this is for servicing equipment [ vacuum pump, trouble lights etc] the run from the basement to the outside can be pvc conduit or emt conduit with weatherproof compression fittings. the remote disconnect needs to be a weatherproof enclosure. it doesn't have to be fused. it can be a knife type disconnect or a single two pole breaker rated for the current draw of both motors, the compressor and condenser fan motor. what did he quote you for the job's cost?

Comment

He's not having you get the materials, is he? If so then find another "electrician". No real self respecting electrical contractor would do this.

Without knowing the actual draw of the unit it is hard to say. We could guess at the wire size but that is a BIG variable in the price.

Comment

You mentioned electric heat, and that is a big variable. Are you talking 5 KW or 10 or 20? That will make a big difference in the cost of the electric install.

Comment

It will be up to your contractor/installer to determine what materials are required. He will use the installation specs for your units, and his knowledge of the electrical code, to determine this. Are you sure he is a licensed contractor? Is he asking you to pick up the material because you might be able to get a good buy at Home Depot, and save him a trip? Or is he a marginal contractor that will use your down payment to finish the last job he is working on? I hate to sound cynical, but there are some flags here, and I don't want to see you get ripped off. Is he pulling a permit for this work?

Comment

Working...
          X
          =