Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Amps ARE there?

I am told I need a 20 amp receptacle for a large appliance.

Not only do I not know what that is, I don't know how many amps there are in a "normal" receptacle, if there is such a thing.

Is this something that would require new wiring in the walls? or is it just something that requires maybe a heavier breaker and different wall plug receptacle?

Thanks

Normal for residential is 15A that uses 14 AWG wire. 20A is required for bathrooms, kitchens, etc. They use 12 AWG wire (typically 12-2 w/ ground NMB)

Comment

The way it works is a mathematical formula. Amps does the work, voltage is the pressure and resistance is the load.
      Appliances have a rating in watts. you'll also find voltage(s) and amperage on appliance nameplates.
      120 volts times 20 amps equals 2400 watts. P=EI P(watts) E(volts) I(amps)
      Also E=IR volts equals amps times resistance

Comment

Originally posted by jhillas View Post

Not only do I not know what that is, I don't know how many amps there are in a "normal" receptacle, if there is such a thing.

Is this something that would require new wiring in the walls? or is it just something that requires maybe a heavier breaker and different wall plug receptacle?

Thanks

As post #2 said most outlets are rated for 15 amps. A 20 amp rated outlet will have one of the prong holes configured so that you can plug a male into it that has a prong turned side ways. You can also plug a normall 120 volt plug in to it. A 220 volt outlet will have both prongs turned side ways. The third prong on the bottom is the equipment ground, it stays the same on both types.
        Some manufacture's that want the appliance on a dedicated 20 amp 120 volt circuit they will have a male plug on the appliance that has a prong turned sideways so it will only go in to a 20 amp outlet.

To find the correct breaker and wire size. As post 3 said you have to go by the name plate on the appliance. Or the specifications in the directions.
        For obvious reasons, never up size your breaker with out knowing exactly what you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by buckofdurham View Post
          A 20 amp rated outlet will have one of the prong holes configured so that you can plug a male into it that has a prong turned side ways. You can also plug a normall 120 volt plug in to it.
          Also know that a "standard" 15A receptacle can still be on a 20A circuit.

Originally posted by buckofdurham View Post
          A 220 volt outlet will have both prongs turned side ways.
          NOT nearly always.
          A 15A/240v receptacle will have both horizontal.
          A 20A/240v will have a " l - " configuration.
          30 & 50A are very large.

Originally posted by jhillas View Post
          Why not tell us what this appliance is? What does the plug look like?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
            Also know that a "standard" 15A receptacle can still be on a 20A circuit.

NOT nearly always.
            A 15A/240v receptacle will have both horizontal.
            A 20A/240v will have a " l - " configuration.
            30 & 50A are very large.

Why not tell us what this appliance is? What does the plug look like?

Speedy, If ihad to tell so many variations, I would have had to write a chapter. Or copy the entire chapter of the NEC 200-250 etc...and 300-350.etc...The best thing for the OP to do would be to get a licensed electrician.
            Or like you said provide us with more detail. Such as "what type of appliance?"
            Then we could give the op much more specific's on what is related.

Comment

Buck - the OP wants to know what is the best recourse for him to do. I'm a retired electrician with both a master and a journeyman license, speedy is an "active" licensed journeyman. The OP has a problem and wants to do the job but is unsure of what to expect. "We" are trying to help this gentleman, not creating a a mind blog of a difference of opinion amongst ourselves. THEREFORE a dedicated 20 amp line has a length of 12/2 with ground, a standard receptacle and a single pole 20 amp breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                Buck - the OP wants to know what is the best recourse for him to do. I'm a retired electrician with both a master and a journeyman license, speedy is an "active" licensed journeyman. The OP has a problem and wants to do the job but is unsure of what to expect. "We" are trying to help this gentleman, not creating a a mind blog of a difference of opinion amongst ourselves. THEREFORE a dedicated 20 amp line has a length of 12/2 with ground, a standard receptacle and a single pole 20 amp breaker.

Thanks, I was just trying to distinguish for the OP the difference between a male plug that requires a dedicated outlet. You konw how they will have a prong turned side ways for a 120v . 20 amp dedicated. Which Speedy is right you can put that on a 15 amp breaker.
                When I said I would need to copy two chapters of the NEC.
                I was refering to Speedy when he said "not neccessarily."
                The point I was making is that their are so many variations. Speedy is right we need the appliance info. before we or I should have elaboorated. Your first post may have been the most helpful.
                However it does not look like the OP has been back, but maybe they will.
                Thanks again. I will try to more specific in my answering.
                I am also a active licensed electrical contractor and very much enjoy debating issues with othes in my field.
                Great Forum!!

Comment

Buck, my "not always" comment was directed only at your "turned sideways" comment. I just wanted to clarify that just because both prongs are turned different than folks are used to seeing doesn't mean it's necessarily a 240v receptacle. I guess I made more confusion than if I'd have left it alone. Sorry.

Comment

Why do I have a house next to my girlfriend?

Comment

Speedy - that's part of a new rating system plug in Troy put on the forum. I tried to get rid of mine but was unsuccessful.

Comment

Buck, my "not always" comment was directed only at your "turned sideways" comment. I just wanted to clarify that just because both prongs are turned different than folks are used to seeing doesn't mean it's necessarily a 240v receptacle. I guess I made more confusion than if I'd have left it alone. Sorry.

Yeah , I know, your all right man.
                        I was just explaining to the deity.
                        To bad we never got a response from the OP, with more info. Between all of us, we could have explained it in specific detail.

I'm new to this forum, some of the other ones are for contractors only.
                        So when some one ask a question. It ussually turns in to a long debate.
                        In which case we all end up learning something from each other.

This forum is to help the home owner, I guess. But I ussually welcome debates, I don't know how every body else feels about it.

Some body put a house next to my name , too.
                        Lucky you , I wish my girlfreind was a plumber.
                        Last edited by buckofdurham; 06-21-2008, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Hmm, does it bug others when people join, post once and forget about it?

OP, if you are still around please post a response so we can help.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DKAudio View Post
                            Hmm, does it bug others when people join, post once and forget about it?
                            Tremendously.

Comment

Why do I have a house next to my girlfriend?
                              Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                              Speedy - that's part of a new rating system plug in Troy put on the forum. I tried to get rid of mine but was unsuccessful.
                              Bare with me guys, it's a work in progress. I was just trying to get everything in place.
                              Try

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =