Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocate of Old-Work outlet

I need to relocate an electrical outlet of my 1920s Colonial. The boxes are metal. There's only 2 wires.. a blackish-gold wire and a lighter, maybe silver or white wire. The wiring going in has got that "War of the Worlds" silver spiral cover.
    The outlet is halfway up the wall in my living room, and I want it above the floorboards. The existing wiring won't reach to the floor, so, I've got to extend it
    ...but how do I do so safely?

I've added circuits and outlets for air conditioners, but I was able to use all new materials, and I've updated old outlets and switches, but trying to mate the old setup to what's available now seems a little more daring.

I'm out of free circuit space, so running new wiring and eliminating the old one is out.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated
    Thank you.
    Shamus

ok, to extend the wiring first you can't just splice onto the wire. you must have a box [which you already have] and a old work plastic box. cut in the box where you want it above the baseboard. in the old box [halfway] up your wall, try to knock out one of the bottom knockouts. an angled screwdriver will pry the ko out. feed a piece of 14/2 romex down through this ko all the way to the new opening and leave about a foot out of the wall. strip back the jacket about 6 inches and fasten a wire clamp inside the old box. the screw is probably a 10-24. remove a ko in the new box and strip back about 8 inches of jacket. feed the cable into the new box and push the box with cable into the wall and fasten. install your outlet [ a gfci receptacle] - in the box halfway up the wall the silverish wire is the neutral (white) and the other is hot. make up splices and use wirenuts. fold the wires into the box and install a blank coverplate.

Comment

perfect.... Thanks so much. Just wasnt sure if I could use the romex to run off the old wiring. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =