Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing a 240v appliance to a 120v outlet?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing a 240v appliance to a 120v outlet?

We recently bought our first house, dating from the 1940's. We are completely broke, and at the end of our credit limits, to swing this purchase. The only heat is from these horrible ancient electric fan wall heaters. When we got our electric bill this winter, we got quite a shock, almost $400 for two months, when the previous couple had been something like $80. Our friends recommended the oil-filled radiators as a more efficient alternative. But the outlets for most of this house are on one 120v circuit, and the power keeps blowing if you start the washer, or play the X-box, or just about anything with two of those heaters on, or even if you turn them up above the low setting.

The wall heaters are each on their own 240v circuit. Can we pull them out and use the existing wires to put in 120v outlets? Can we replace the 240v breakers with 120's? We'll get help and do lots of research before attempting anything, if it's at all possible, I just want to know if it is.

sounds like you need rewiring. ....you can change the 220 circuit to 110 by installing a 110 breaker and terminating one wire to it and the other wire to the neutral bar. the amperage of the breaker is dictated by the size of the wire. (14 wire =15 amp..12 wire =20 amp.. 10 wire =30 amp, etc.
    But you mentioned 1940. Your wiring is probably not grounded at that age.....again.....rewire.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
    <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Working...
    X
    =