Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remodeling a Bathroom

Hello,

I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom, and I want to make sure that the finished design meets current electrical code. I know wiring very well, but I am confused about the code for a modern bathroom. What I have found out so far is that code says that you must have a dedicated circuit for bathroom plugs. I also have a fan, a wall sconce, and a over-the-mirror light in this room. I wan to know if it is possible to have everythin on the dedicated circuit, or, should lighting and fans be on a separate circuit from the outlets? Your comments are appreciated. Thanks!!

Bryan,

Welcome to the forum.

Buildings codes vary and some building inspector can be more rigid than others, as a DIYer it is always best to exceed the requirements when possible and do as neat of job as possible..

There must be at least one outlet in each bathroom, adjacent to the sink, in addition to any outlet that may be incorporated in the light fixture. All such outlets *must* be GFCI-protected.

The NEC says that switches may not be installed inside bathtubs or showers. The CEC says that switches may not be installed "within reach" of bathtubs or showers (consult an inspector if you can't make it at least four feet).

Here's a quote from another source... The NEC requires a 20 amp circuit to be provided for the bathroom outlets. It only says one is needed. When we wire houses, we provide one 20 circuit for all bathroom receptacles and take the lighting from a different 15 amp circuit. All the receptacles are GFCI protected at the receptacle. This eliminates the GFCI breaker in the panel. It is done this way for convenience so you don't have to run to the panel in your skivvies if the gfi trips. Dan

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by brcathy

Hello,

I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom, and I want to make sure that the finished design meets current electrical code. I know wiring very well, but I am confused about the code for a modern bathroom. What I have found out so far is that code says that you must have a dedicated circuit for bathroom plugs. I also have a fan, a wall sconce, and a over-the-mirror light in this room. I wan to know if it is possible to have everythin on the dedicated circuit, or, should lighting and fans be on a separate circuit from the outlets? Your comments are appreciated. Thanks!!
      [/quote

another suggestion....don't wire the lights /fan to be gfi protected. Only the plugs.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
      <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Working...
      X
      =