Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadet 1000w Heater Installation?

I have a small shop work area that I want to install some sort of heater in.. I am looking at a cadet 1000w wall mounter heater with fan.. The shop is about 130 sq ft and insulated. I have 2 questions before proceeding with the project. Since the shop currently has two 15 amp circuits from the house breaker panel already, I think that I will have to run another 15 or 20 amp 115 v circuit to the shop from the main breaker dedicated to the heater. My 2 questions are (1).. what is the maximum wire length that a 12/2 wire can be run from the main breaker panel to the heater without fear of line loss.. my run would be about 60/70 ft and (2) I would like to mount the heater in the ceiling above desk/work area but fear that what heat is put out would all stay up in the ceiling and not where it is needed.. Is this the case. Would appreciate any comments / opinions or even other ideas that I might consider. Thank you

amps to the heater will be approx 8.3 amps. 10 ga two wire will give you approx 118.4 at the load end on a 15 amp breaker. as the wire size gets smaller, #12, #14 the voltage also drops - 116 for the 12 and 114 for the 14. book says no more than 3% voltage drop per 100 feet. mind you the calculation for voltage drop considers TOTAL wire length. 100 feet = 50 feet out and 50 feet back. 10 gauge would be better.
    For the heater mounted IN THE CEILING pointed down?? Not with its design. Even fan forced it would continually trip out on overload. Its meant to be mounted with the heat louvers UP drawing in air from below.
    Last edited by HayZee518; 11-24-2008, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Voltage drop at 60'-70' is not a concern. Especially at such a low amperage.
      Using #14 wire, I show a drop of 3.3% at 70' for a 9a load on a 120v circuit. So like I said, VD is not really an issue here. If you felt strongly #12 would be a bit better.

Whether you double the distance or not depends on what method you are using to figure VD. The calculators I use ask for the one-way length. And it is not 3% per 100'. It is 3% for a branch circuit and 5% total for a feeder.

The issue I have is one of code. You cannot legally (within code) run more than one circuit to a detached structure. For this purpose a multi-wire circuit (shared neutral) is considered one circuit.
      Am I correct in assuming this is a detached structure?

If so you'd be much better served running a small sub-panel out there.

Also, I agree with Hayzee. DO NOT mount a wall heater in the ceiling!
      Last edited by Speedy Petey; 11-24-2008, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Shop Structure - Detached?

When the house (manufactured home) was installed, an attached carport was built with the shop area as part of it connected to the house. From the main service panel (200 amp) a separate 15 amp lighting ciruit was run to the shop area with one light and one outlet. From the individual circuit breaker panel in the house was also run 2 more individual 15 amp circuits (factory installed) to the storage area (each has its own breaker). The shop area no where near uses the power that is there.. Just a small 1.5 cf refrigerator and small freezer each on a separate circuit plus lighting.. Maybe the answer is to just continue to use the small 600 watt heater that I have been when required.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =