Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insulating recessed lights

Cold air pours from my recessed lights. The ceiling is vaulted, so I can't climb up there to pack more insulation around the cans. Any suggestions?

depends on the model of lights you have. most cans need a clearance around the case to dissapate heat. some have a bi-metal element that opens when the heat gets excessive.

Comment

leaky recessed lights

If you can not get up and into the area around the recessed lights then I would think your only option is to drop the fixtures and convert them to surface mounted lights. Then seal and patch the openings. If you could get up there and the fixture is rated IC then you can wrap the light pot with insulation, otherwise you need to leave 3" around it. Good luck. Jim.
      'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Is the air coming in between the drywall and the fixture or thru holes in the recessed light fixture itself. If its between the drywall and the fixture caulk it, if its coming thru the fixture itself you need to check to see if it has the bi-metal temperature limit in it before closing all the holes off or you may have a fire hazard if you limit the air flow. Most with the bi-metal limit are mounted inside above where the light screws into it remove it and look for two black wires going into a small metal box about 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch

Comment

Working...
        X
        =